Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Essential X-mas song #1

Most people who know me know that I don't especially like Christmas music. For awhile, I had the same stance on Christmas music that I had on country. "I hate it all." But just like country offering Johnny Cash and Willie Nelson, there are exceptions. Amazingly, there are approximately 25 Christmas songs I legitimately love. Everyday, from now until Christmas, I'm going to reveal another one. That way on Christmas, loyal reader, you'll have yourself a nice Christmas mix to play while you eat your goose and roast chestnuts.

Track #1




"Fairytale of New York" by the Pogues. There are some who would argue that this is not a Christmas song. But considering it all takes place in the 24 period between Christmas Eve and Christmas Day, I think it counts. Besides, the word "Christmas" is used a ton of times.

"Fairytale of New York" is a song about a drunk man reminiscing about past Christmases while sleeping off a bender in the NYPD "drunk tank". The rest of the song is sort of a call and response between the narrator and an old love (Kristie MacColl) about their relationship (destroyed by booze) and the Christmas Eve they spent in New York. It's hard to tell if the characters are pining for what they once had or if they are in the middle of a fight. They are both pretty brutal to each other at time. "You're a bum, you're a punk, you're an old slut on junk" "You scumbag, you maggot, you cheap lousy faggot. Happy Christmas, you arse, I pray God it's our last." But I like to look at this as the drunken Irish version of playful ribbing with someone you love. For all it's heartbreak, I find this song incredibly romantic.

1 comment:

Alicia said...

can we say COPY CAT!!!???!!??

:)