Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Essential X-mas Music Track 16



"I Won't Be Home For Christmas" by Blink 182.

A funny thing occurred to me the other day. I remember in high school/early college there was a trend of "punks" in my scene (as I'm sure there was in yours) would criticize Blink 182. "Sellout!" they would cry because they had gotten popular to the point where they had to play larger venues in order to service their audience. Most of these people loved pop punk bands like Screeching Weasel and The Descendants (both bands that heavily influenced Blink) but claimed to hate Blink.

Cut to those same people in 2009. Most of them are 25-30 years old. Lots of things have changed. Including the fact that they are now comfortable enough to admit they like Blink. Everyone likes Blink. Everyone. (no need to comment just to tell me you don't, i know it's a broad generalization).

Anyhow, hearing this song always makes me think of my first band ever, Kindergarden Diplomacy. The band included John McCabe, Leann Banks, Kevin Branoff, and myself. We'd play the silly songs that I wrote about a girl I worked with at Meijer who had a mullet or having carnal relations with farm animals. We would have band practice at John's house, using his other bands (much nicer) equipment. Afterwards, they would come and practice and since the holidays were approaching, they would cover this song.

Simpler times, those were.

No comments: