Sunday, August 1, 2010

A new reason to blog.

I'm trying an experiment to see if I can get by on 10 dollars a day. It's all a part of my plan to stretch my savings while looking for a new job.

It all started last week. The girl was having a flustered day at work and with virtual dollar signs in her eyes (which come under false pretenses, may I add) she IMed me and said "Are you a paralegal yet?" Of course, she was joking, but it was something that really startled me. Things are not going quite as I planned. I haven't graduated yet (I've one class left) and I'm still earning minimum wage. I'm 27 and barely scraping by.

The rules: This ten dollars is only spending money. It does not include any of my fixed expenses (food, rent, gym, netflix, transit passes, etc). Basically I'm just going to take 70 bucks cash out at the beginning of the week and try to make it last. I feel like that shouldn't be too hard. Just a matter of packing a sandwich on nights when I have rehearsal or eating something cheaper than my usual bar burger. I think little sacrifices will make a big difference. We shall see.

I'll be reporting like this.

Money Spent: $0
On?: Nothin' fool.
Money left: $70

1 comment:

Courtney said...

good luck in your quest to save. i think i'll enjoy these posts. i once earned $30 a week tutoring and dan and i --- yes 2 people --- had $30 to spend for the week. man, that's poor, at least it was 2000. :-) and of course we had the help of being on a campus where seeing a movie and sharing a coke and bag of candy only put us back $3 total. love the megabus post.