Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Clipping coupons with grandma

There's something I don't do very often, which is surprising. That thing is use coupons. I used to sit with my gran while she clipped coupons and put them in a little folder. I'd usually wear my mom's big Grasshopper glasses while I clipped. Even in her later years, she clipped coupons to give to my mom all the time. But I can't recall a time when I've ever used a coupon. I think that's mostly because I buy off brand products, which rarely have a coupon offer.

Yesterday, I had to get some dinner before rehearsal. I was browsing my options online and in between all of the burger joints and mexican places, I spotted a Quizno's. I was perusing their menu and noticed a coupon offer for 2.99 for a small sub, chips, and a drink. How do you pass something like that up?! A secondary lesson was learned as well. A small sub is a perfectly adequate meal. Before, I would eat a large sub, chips, a cookie, and a drink for like $1,000.00. NO MORE!

Money spent: $16.79
ON?: $3.29 (Quizno's) $10 (Rehearsal fees), $3.50 (post-rehearsal beer)
Money left: $53.21

2 comments:

Rachel said...

I highly suggest using coupons. Often, if you match coupons with sales, you can get brand name items for less than the store/off brand equivalent.

Mom said...

I remember you helping Gran cut out coupons..She would be so proud!
Love, Mom