Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Something that's been bothering me

That should probably be the title of every entry. This is going to become a chronicle of the random neurotic bits of minutia that haunt my days. I need answers though.

Last night as I lie in bed, I was watching Toy Story 2. My choices were limited due to a broken DVD player but let it be known, I do not apologize for this choice. I feel the Toy Story series was a beautifully animated, very smartly written peice of cinema. There is one thing that I was bothered by and it really doesn't even have anything to do with Toy Story 2, but seeing Buzz Lightyear made me think about it.

In the first movie, Buzz is not self aware. He really believes he is a space ranger out to destroy the evil Zurg. He does not know he is a mass produced peice of plastic with some working parts and flashing lights.

Given this fact, why did he stay frozen in his box at the toy store until he was purchased. Why did he freeze and drop lifelessly to the ground with the other toys whenever a human entered a room? Why, when Andy first unwrapped his present and open the box did Buzz not spring to life and begin searching tirelessly for Zurg.

None of this is explained and I WANT ANSWERS.

x-posted to Livejournal in order to get the answers I seek.

No comments: